home about me home tour consultations testimonials contact

Monday, December 19, 2011

How to make a Chevron Pattern

 Happy Monday, friends! I hope you've beat the hustle and bustle of the Christmas frenzy and you're relaxing this week instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off. A big thank you to those of you who left a nice comment on the reveal post. You guys are so kind and supportive!

On the agenda for today: How to make the chevron pattern
                       Tomorrow: How to paint the ikat chevron

I hope you aren't disappointed when I break it all down. I don't have any major secrets to share, but I do think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see how easy it is!

 It all started with a regular 8 1/2 x 11 piece of cardstock and a paper cutter.
 I eyeballed the width I wanted the chevron to be. Mine turned out to be 2 and 3/4 inches wide and I was able to cut 3 sections out of 1 piece of paper.
I cut tons, then started laying them out to decide the "pitch" or how sharp the angles would be. Once I was happy with the look, I taped the edges together to create one long zig-zag.
 Using painter's tape, I adhered it to the beadboard and began to trace the pattern with a pencil.
 I used a ruler to draw a straight line to show where the point of each chevron would be placed as I moved the pattern down the wall. This helped keep the pattern organized and straight. Nothing worse than an unorganized chevron...talk about making ya dizzy!
Once you have all the lines drawn, it starts to look a little confusing. Make sure you write the color of paint you intend to use inside the appropriate chevron. I used the initial of each paint color and literally wrote it multiple times in each section. It began to look like a giant paint by number when all was said and done.

Totally doable, right? I mean, if you can cut, trace and tape then you've got this project licked! So simple. I didn't even have to bust out the math skills. Thank goodness. Remember my entryway stripes? Not gonna lie, there were tears shed during that painting process! 

That's it for today, friends. Stop back by tomorrow and I'll break down how to get the ikat (blurry) look. It'll probably be my shortest post yet...it's that easy!

If you'd like help creating something fun and different in your own home, contact me, so we can get started!

**Gift certificates available for design services. What a perfect Christmas gift!**


5 comments:

pam {simple details} said...

That sounds easy enough, it's the next step I'm worried about. You know, like abstract art looks easy!

Carly {a simple affair} said...

Wonderful step-by-step instructions. Totally agree with Pam--I'll be anxiously awaiting the ikat explanation!

Holly Gruszka said...

Shoot! This is what happens when I lose some blogs in my Reader - I miss important updates on projects. I had to backstep a bunch to see the reveal! Dana, it's awesome and such an original look! I love how you've balanced the pattern with a cohesive color palette in the accessories. Aweosme job!

Unknown said...

شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى حائل
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الخرج
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى المجمعة
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى المزاحمية
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الدمام
شركة نقل عفش من جدة الى الخبر

Unknown said...

شركة نقل عفش بنجران
شركة نقل عفش برابغ
شركة نقل عفش بخميس مشيط
شركة نقل عفش بحائل
شركة نقل عفش بتبوك
شركة نقل عفش ببريدة
شركة نقل عفش بالطائف

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blogging tips